Sunday, August 2, 2020

July 25

At breakfast, John asks me if I mind him going to a stamp club meeting this afternoon.  This is one of John's nerdy activities, but I have no objection.  I used to enjoy collecting stamps when I was a child and learned quite a lot about different places in the world, like what currencies they used and what was important to them.. I always remember finding out the Helvecia was the Swiss name for Switzerland. John has a look at his phone to confirm that the meeting is at a friend's house and discovers that the meeting is not this afternoon, but this morning and has already begun.  

As John has missed the meeting, he decides to go and help a friend with his car.  It is an old Citroen that is being rebuilt.  If John has his way, our garden would be full of old wrecks just needing a 'little' work before they can get back on the road.  As it is, he only has an old Panther motorbike in pieces in the garage.

I decide to make a cheesecake.  Earlier in the week, I made cream cheese by straining two packets of Masi (cultured milk) through a piece of cheesecloth. It is so much cheaper than buying cream cheese from the supermarket and is much tastier.  Instead of cream, I use Lacto (sour milk) and instead of creme fraiche, I use a double thick yoghurt.  The cheesecake is perfect, except for the fact that when I take it out the tin, it falls over to one side.

When I was at high school, I had a Science teacher whose experiments never worked out.  When we wrote up the notes afterwards, we always had to write: If this experiment had worked, the results would have been . . . It is the same with my cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment