Sunday, August 16, 2020

August 1

 

On Saturdays I no longer have a lie-in as I have an extra lesson at 8.30. Unfortunately, with our cottage not being occupied, I need to do extra lessons to boost our income.  Today I have a brother and sister who come at the same time.  They are quite good fun and get involved in the lesson.  One of the worst things is sitting with someone who doesn't say a word for a whole hour or who just says 'I don't know'.

As they are leaving, for some reason we get chatting about drugs in Bulawayo and whether there is  widespread use of them in schools.  Both students insist that there is but, the boy then adds, there is also a big problem with drugs amongst the older community and it's not just the odd case of smoking what my mum used to refer to as 'funny fags'.  It's cocaine, LSD, heroin, the lot.

'These older people - even parents,' he says, giving me a long knowing look. 'It's shocking what goes on and it's people you'd never think would touch the stuff.'

I feel certain this last comment is aimed at me, but to be honest, I hardly drink alcohol anymore never mind anything else.  I would hate to be addicted to anything, especially anything that sent me off into hallucinatory states.  Although Sian and Ellie always tease me about the amount of tea that I drink, I don't feel it's quite on the level of crack cocaine.

I am happy with my life.  As I said the other day, I am very glad to be out of the drinking, partying, night club stage and am very, very happy that the highlight of my week is watching two episodes of Call the Midwife back to back.

John goes out with a friend to look for Citroen parts.  He says town is quiet but 'normal'.  The police at roadblocks are very laid back and wave everyone through.

No comments:

Post a Comment