Saturday, August 1, 2020

July 21

A 6am-6pm curfew is imposed.  Shops and businesses have to close by 3pm every day and the town centre must be clear by 6pm.  Of course the curfew is nothing to do with curbing the spread of the coronavirus and everything to do with curbing political dissent ahead of next week's planned stay away. There is some suggestion that the curfew is a way of closing shebeens (illegal bars) and parties, but no one is really convinced.  

Some people question why Zimbabweans aren't more concerned about the spread of the virus and I think it is because we believe that the precautions that have been put in place are nothing to do with protecting our health.  We do not believe that the government does anything to help us or out of any motivation to keep us safe.  We therefore view all restrictions with some suspicion.

I take Sian horse riding in the afternoon.  I really enjoy driving out to the stables and watching Sian ride.  I start reading an Agatha Christie novel, A Pocket Full of Rye. I remember watching the series with Joan Hickson playing Miss Marple when I was about 12.  My grandparents were living with us and watching a murder film was a family affair.  I always wanted a large family, but ours could not have been much smaller.  All of my dad's family lived in the UK and my grandparents were the only people here on my mum's side and they retired back to Wales not long after we watched A Pocket Full of Rye.  To me, Joan Hickson was the definitive Miss Marple; no other actress has quite captured her character. 



No comments:

Post a Comment