Saturday, August 29, 2020

August 23


 I know it's Sunday and I know I said I'd do no work on a Sunday, but today I relent and give an extra lesson.  Mock exams are starting at many schools next week so I agree to do a Sunday lesson.

We have been invited to brunch with some friends.  We are all very excited that we are leaving the house.  Our friends live on a smallholding on the outskirts of Bulawayo and they have pigs, goats, dogs and chickens.  This is paradise for Sian and Ellie.  At one point they both appear with a lamb each and ask if we can take them home.  Somehow I don't think that would work with our dogs.

We spend a very pleasant afternoon catching up with a number of friends.  It has warmed up a bit, but is still a little chilly.  

On the way home, we drive past the Bulawayo Country Club.  My parents' house is near here and my mum would walk her dogs on the golf course.  I feel a real stab of pain, looking out across the greens, thinking of all the walks we had and all the hours we spent chatting.  

The water does not come back on as it usually does on a Sunday.  I wonder if we will make it to Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment