Sunday, August 16, 2020

August 2

Ever since I decided not to do any work on a Sunday, I have been a lot happier.  I would definitely recommend it as we all need a break sometimes. Online teaching is so much more concentrated and demanding as well and so it is very important to have a break from it.

This means that I am free to do things such as wash the car.  People with gardeners who wash the car once or twice a week or people who take their cars to be washed, will never understand the ordeal of washing their cars. In Zambia, everyone was obsessed with washing their cars.  The man opposite us in Ndola had his car washed at least twice a day - and I think he only drove down the road to work.  However, here in Bulawayo we are much more constrained by a lack of water to indulge in such excesses.

Washing the outside of the car is such a futile thing to do in so many ways as the very next day it is covered with dust again.  Still, there is something very satisfying in throwing numerous buckets of water over it and getting rid of some of the dust.  Then there's the inside to do.  I hoover the car inside and wipe down the dashboard, gear stick, steering wheel and all the handles and buttons.  I'm going to get fanatical, I know.  I'm going to end up as one of those people who put plastic covers on their car seats or maybe I'll make everyone sit on the floor.

There is something curiously satisfying and relaxing about doing mundane jobs and it's interesting how many ideas pop into my head whilst I am polishing the windows or hoovering the seats; far more ideas than when I sit at my desk, staring into space.


No comments:

Post a Comment