Monday, January 6, 2020

December 28

We wake to very light rain.  Yesterday on the way home, we drove through a number of showers until we got to about 30 kilometres from Bulawayo when it all stopped.

It is my younger sister's 40th birthday.  Time certainly seems to fly by.  I remember quite clearly the day she was born as my older sister and I had to go and stay with friends of my parents.  It was early in the morning and . . . guess what? The electricity had gone off.  

We take the dogs for a walk and pop into the post office on the way home to see if the presents that my sister in the UK sent have arrived.  They have, but it will cost me $748 to get them.  This is just ridiculous.  My sister always sends presents for birthdays and Christmas and I have never paid this much.  

Around midday, our guests arrive.  The woman is very jolly and friendly, but her husband does not even greet me.  He looks like one of those people about whom his wife would say: 'He's very nice really.  You just have to get to know him.'  They are going to Hwange for New Year.

'How long are you there for?' John asks the man.
He shrugs.  'We get there when we get there.  We leave when we leave.'


No comments:

Post a Comment