Saturday, May 9, 2020

May 6

Sian and Ellie are up early again and eager to get going with the homeschooling.  It's a rather slow morning and I can see Ellie's enthusiasm is starting to fade.  Ellie loves learning, but she gets easily bored.  She is not the sort of child who is content to write notes and so likes following the links to various youtube videos that her teacher has sent.

Some of them are of a Biblical nature and she plays them whilst Sian and I are concentrating on our own work (or trying to). I find them annoying as the characters have funny accents. I suppose it is quite hard to find an authentic accent, and I don't expect them all to talk with a plum in their mouths - 'I say, Abraham, it's jolly good of you to sacrifice your son to me.  Well done, old thing!' - but I wish they wouldn't go for these funny, screechy, high-pitched voices.  American accents are the worst because they come with a 'hey, buddy, how are ya?' tone. Everything in life, it appears, has to be dumbed-down to this 'buddy' level.  I am sure children aren't fooled.

In the afternoon, we go for a walk and bump into THREE sets of people we know.  It's so nice to stop and have a conversation with people, although everyone has had the same kind of life for the last six weeks.  It's so good to connect!

On the way home, we stop on the side of the road to buy tomatoes from a man who sells them out of his car.  Since the lockdown started, hawkers have more or less disappeared, but the amount of people selling vegetables out of their car boots have proliferated.  I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, but nowadays, if you see a car pulled over on the side of the road, you immediately look for cabbages.


No comments:

Post a Comment