Thursday, May 14, 2020

May 12

The Internet is not working when we wake up so we take the opportunity to go out for an early morning walk.  When we get back, it is still not working, so John and Ellie ride up to TelOne to find out what's going on. It's the usual case of having to switch off and restart.

I am managing to get through all my work when Ellie shouts that the snake is back.  This time, Rolo is springing round it and snapping at it.  I am convinced he will get bitten.  John manages to pin the snake's head down with a forked branch of a frangipani that had been trimmed off and I rather gingerly grab Rolo by the collar and get him inside the house.

Unfortunately, Rolo has injured the snake quite badly.  I am very surprised.  This morning, on our walk, he chased a cat and completely missed the fact that the cat went up a tree.  He ran round and round in circles, looking wildly about.  Despite Rolo being a Ridgeback, he has never proved to be much of a hunter.  Tallulah regularly brings pigeons and squirrels to our feet as gifts, but not Rolo. However, I have heard that Ridgebacks are good at killing snakes.

Because it is injured, John kills the snake.  We all feel very badly about it - all of us besides Elizabeth who would have chopped its head off herself if she had been given the chance.

In the afternoon, John goes to see a man who has asked him to paint his house.  It's quite a big job and I don't think that John is too enthusiastic about it.  Sian and Ellie go to the stables to help muck out and groom the horses.  I am at home by myself and have that strange feeling of freedom that is bestowed on me from time to time and which I invariably waste.  Do I write, do I read, do I mark essays?

The Yorkshire puddings were so nice, I make them again.  I also make a bread and butter pudding with jam.  English food might be stodgy, but it's yummy and very filling on cold nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment