Sunday, May 31, 2020

May 27

I have an extra lesson today and feel so excited to have some money in my pocket!  Afterwards, I visit a friend of mine and we have a mutual moan about the coronavirus and online teaching.  In the afternoon, I take the girls to the stables and then go to Econet to see if I can get John a phone line for his new phone.  John lost his phone last week.  I thought he might take the opportunity to upgrade to a smartphone, but it was not to be.  John and technology do not go together.  If he could walk round with a bakelite phone, he would.

Apparently, I can't buy a phone line for someone else so John will have to come and do it himself.  Having about an hour to kill before I collect the girls, I buy beetroot seedlings.  I am so proud of our little vegetable garden, kept alive entirely by old bath water.

For supper, I make spinach and cream cheese pasties. I made the cream cheese myself by draining a packet of masi through a linen cloth.  It has come out really well.  I make shortcrust pastry using self-raising flour.  For some reason, you can't buy plain flour in the shops, but there is plenty of self-raising flour.  I would have thought it would have been the other way round.

There is definitely a greater sense of accomplishment when the meal you eat contains things grown in the garden or made yourself.  If there is one good thing about living in Zimbabwe, it's that you do learn to become far more self-sufficient than you would elsewhere.  If I lived 'elsewhere' I might just buy ready-made pastry - or ready-made pasties - and it just isn't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment