Tuesday, May 5, 2020

May 3

Sometime over the last few weeks, I mentioned how nice it would be to have a very early morning walk.  Nobody took me up on the offer - until today.  Ellie wakes me up when it is just getting light and informs me we are going for a walk.  It is chilly, but good to be out early.  I love the smell of the bush when it is still damp.  It reminds me of camping trips when you crawl out the tent into the cold of the morning, desperate for a cup of tea.

A number of years ago, I signed up to an employment website for teachers and every day I get an email alert which tells me what jobs are on offer.  I signed up as a secondary English teacher, but often the adverts will include jobs that I could not possibly do like be the head of the Physics department.  Today I get one for Teacher of Clarinet and Saxophone. I wonder if I could get away with knowing absolutely nothing about either. In Zambia, we came across many teachers - especially headmasters - who certainly weren't what they said they were. The expat teaching market is definitely a dodgy one and it is quite easy to turn up in a place like Ndola or Solwezi and profess to have an Oxford degree when really the nearest you got to Oxford was on a number 9 bus.

Most of the rest of the day is spent getting ready for school - writing notes and preparing lessons.  At 5pm, the water comes back so we are able to put the washing machine on. Next week looms ahead: homeschooling, lockdown, the compulsory wearing of masks, more price hikes. Perhaps, I think, I should apply for the clarinet and saxophone job anyway.  What have I to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment