Thursday, May 14, 2020

May 11

The last week of the lockdown?  I doubt it.

Homeschooling resumes with the usual barrage of questions from Sian and Ellie.  Today, I am answering questions on the Treaty of Versailles, maths and semi-colons.  I am not sure why primary teachers even bother with semi-colons.  I struggle to teach full stops to my A level class!

After talking about strange experiences the other day, I have a moment of clairvoyance when I imagine a snake outside on the veranda and Rolo going for it.  This feeling of a snake stays with me and when my dad goes out into the garden to sweep up piles of leaves, I am concerned that he might find a snake snuggled up in one so I prod all the piles with a stick before he moves them.

About an hour later, Sian shouts that there is a snake outside and that Rolo is trying to bite it.  It is about a metre from where I imagined it.  It is a cobra of some sort; it is standing upright and is displaying its hood.  I manage to get Rolo away and the snake slides off into a crack in some rocks - right near the bedroom windows!


We have very few snakes in our garden, despite all the rocks and all the wild, untamed bits, but as we are heading towards winter, it is likely that this snake is looking for somewhere to hibernate. I have certainly not seen a cobra in the garden before. As the Animal Communicator in our house, Sian says that she felt the snake was very scared, rather than aggressive and that is often the way.  Sian also says that the lady who ran the course she did, said that snakes often protect houses.

Elizabeth has no time for the mkiwa (white person) way of handling snakes. She cannot understand why we didn't kill it immediately and there is a lot of tongue clicking and head shaking on her part.

For supper, we have a really English meal of sausages, mash, gravy and Yorkshire puddings. It is the first time I have tried making them in a long time and they are a great success.  We also have peas, but not mushy peas.  Despite my English blood, I cannot abide mushy peas.


No comments:

Post a Comment