Friday, May 8, 2020

May 5

Both Sian and Ellie are up early.  Ellie set her alarm clock for 5.30am!  They are both very keen to start home-schooling and from seven o'clock, keep checking to see if they have been sent any work.  It comes through slowly, although there does seem to be a fair amount of wasted time.  Personally, I wish other teachers did what I do which is send out the work early and give everyone a fair amount of time to do it in.  But then, not everyone is perfect!

We set up camp at the dining room table, probably the coldest and darkest room in the house, but one where we all fit.  Teaching online and keeping an eye on Sian and Ellie is not an easy experience.  My A Level literature students are very verbose and love discussing the texts and, whilst I am reading their long missives, I am continually interrupted with questions about long multiplication, soil erosion and various computer glitches.  In fact, I spend a large part of the morning trying to sort out why Office 365 has stopped working on my laptop.

I find the constant beeps on my phone, emails and questions really overwhelming and difficult to deal with. At breaktime, we have coffee and a biscuit and sit outside in the sunshine.  I don't think break has ever been more welcome.  

I decide not to answer questions after a certain time of day: they can wait until tomorrow.  I make a big enough batch of biscuits to last us through a week of breaktimes (actually, there are never enough biscuits, however many I make).  I have spent far too much time indoors today - i need more sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment