Friday, April 17, 2020

April 15

Today, the water will be back on - for one night.  An air of excitement pervades the house all day.  In Bulawayo, we have water twice a week - Wednesday night and Sunday. We are very lucky as we have a tank and so it is not as though we cannot have showers or that we need to fill bottles up.  However, we are still very careful with our water consumption and one of my recent domestic triumphs is managing to reduce the washing so that we only put the washing machine on twice a week. This means being quite strict about what we wear; I am now wearing my clothes at least twice and encouraging the girls to do so as well.  

Wearing shorts all day every day is becoming a little bit monotonous and part of me feels I should put my work clothes on for at least part of the day to make me feel more motivated.  I am even inclined to don a long evening dress, complete with feather boa, high heels and cigarette holder, just to give my day a certain panache that appears to be missing.

In the evening, we watch The Crown again and this time, besides marvelling at how many cigarettes they each get through, I wonder if anyone really enjoys being part of the Royal family because it certainly doesn't seem that way.  Prince Harry is by no means original in wanting to break away, but at least he appears to want to do something meaningful.  

The Duke of Windsor (former Edward VIII) didn't seem capable of doing much except spending large amounts of money on entertaining. and looking soppy every time Wallis Simpson glanced his way. I really wonder what it is like to not have a job and not need a job either, to just spend the day entertaining and having no real focus to your life besides that.

No comments:

Post a Comment