Monday, September 21, 2020

September 7


Today, first thing in the morning, I receive a message: I have de sqrril meet me cecil ave lights at 2pm.  

I have no idea what this message is all about.  It sounds as though some mad kidnapper is holding a squirrel to ransom and I can't think why they think I should be bothered.  I have visions of a black car with tinted windows meeting me at the traffic lights and a large, frightened squirrel sitting in the back seat, hoping I'll pay thousands of dollars to set him free. 

The message turns out to be from John, the ice-cream man who makes a fortune out of the children at Ellie's school by plying them with Nutty Squirrels, Monster Mouse, Green Giant and Skippy Choc. He is one of the most revered people there, far more important than the entire staff and headmaster put together - well, at least that is what the children feel. They all love him and he is also a great favourite with the parents.  As he knows all the children, you can leave a message with him and know it will be delivered, ask him to pass on a cricket bat or violin, or look after your bags, car or small children.  I have even known him to chase after thieves who broke into a car.

Since schools closed in March, John has been a bit of a loose end and one of the parents sent out a message, asking for us all to keep on supporting John through ordering ice-creams from him. About a month or so ago, I phoned him and asked him if he had any Nutty Squirrels - my favourite ice cream as it has both nuts and chocolate.  However, he said there was a shortage of nuts and so Nutty Squirrels were hard to come by.  Now, I gather, Nutty Squirrel is back in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment