Wednesday, September 16, 2020

September 5


Having gone to bed so late, I struggle to get up but I have an extra lesson at 8.30am.  My eyes are really heavy and I have to have about twenty cups of tea before I feel half normal.  At 7.30am, I receive a message asking for a postponement of the lesson.  I wish I had known this earlier.  I can't go back to sleep once I am up.

Ellie goes to a party at a friend's house.  In the afternoon, John and I take part in the judging of the Matopos Hut competition.  For the last few years, a competition is held in the Matopos area to find the best decorated hut.  Hut decoration is part of Ndebele culture, but it has evolved somewhat from what it used to be.  Many of the designs are not traditional and can include anything from daisies to cartoon characters.  There is such talent here, it is quite amazing, and some of the decorations are really beautiful.

All the huts have been photographed and what we have to do is look at all the pictures and choose the best outside decoration, inside decoration and outside area. However, there are hundreds of entries and to go through each and every one would take far too much time.  Quite a few people from all different walks of life have been invited to take part in the judging.  One lady has been there the entire day, meticulously working through each and every photograph so she can make an informed choice.

Ellie comes home from the party and says she had dog poo thrown in her as a dare and she has washed it off in the swimming pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment