Wednesday, September 30, 2020

September 24



Hooray! Someone books to stay for the weekend.  They contact me through our Facebook page.  I keep meaning to update it, but at the moment it is just another thing to do.

I am enjoying being back at school. One of my favourite places to sit is my stock room which is lovely and big and airy.

I have a resident poltergeist.  I am not afraid of it; in fact, I think it sends me messages.  Sometimes when I go in, I find books on the floor or on the table.  I used to just pick them up and put them away, but now I have a closer look at the book for a clue to the message I am being sent.  It's interesting that there is often a link to something in my life: Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice, Far From the Madding Crowd. This week it was The Merchant of Venice and I can see where there comes in, pound of flesh and all that.  Some messages are more cryptic.  One of the books was The Cocktail party by T.S. Eliot which I have never read so I missed out there.

All my classes know about the poltergeist.  Sometimes when I am teaching, we hear books falling on the floor and I just shrug and say, 'you all know who it is, don't you?'  Some of the younger girls were a bit frightened when I first told them about it, but I think they are used to it now.  I told them a  story about an English teacher who was accidentally locked in the stockroom one holiday and when it was opened up, the cleaners found a skeleton sitting on a chair with a copy of Hamlet in hand.  (That bit I did make up)

Here is an interesting thing about the poltergeist: it never throws books around when I am in the stockroom.  I think it is just an attention seeker.  


No comments:

Post a Comment