Saturday, September 26, 2020

September 16

 


At one of the shops I go to today, the security guard takes my temperature, shows me the reading - 36.2C - and says 'Still kicking' and then falls about laughing.  'Still kicking, you know?  Still kicking.'

Meaningful words the day before my birthday.

I thought this was going to week, but my dad going away and it being my birthday tomorrow has stirred something in me and everything is heightened emotionally.  I can't help thinking of past birthdays.  I have some very happy memories of going to the Book Centre with my mum about a week before my birthday.  I would point out all the books I would like and then I'd have to go and sit in the car and when she came out carrying a big parcel of books in a brown paper bag, I'd try and guess which ones she had bought me.  My mum always made us the same chocolate cake and it was just delicious.  I won't even bother trying to make it.

I also have not so good memories.  I hated primary school so much, I missed a lot of school through having various 'ailments'.  I used to read a medical dictionary my parents had and make sure I came up with all the symptoms.  I think I even had typhoid and diphtheria at one point. I will never forget trying to fall out of a tree and break my arm so that I couldn't go to school. I remember being home on one of my birthdays.


No comments:

Post a Comment