Sunday, March 22, 2020

March 14

Today, we have Sian's birthday party.  She assured us that she just wanted a small gathering of friends and then announced that there would be nine girls staying the night! They are going to camp outside, sleeping under the stars.  It all sounds great, but it rained yesterday and there are a few black clouds around today.  

Fifteen year old girls are vastly different to eleven year olds though and I like the fact that they don't want John or I around, or at least for very long.  Sian has strung fairy lights in the trees and there is music and raucous laughter and they all seem to be having a good time.  I am quite glad there is no one in the cottage tonight.

Ellie has her friend over and they do a fashion show for me and I have to pick who is the best.  It's very sweet.  Sometimes I feel bad because I find birthday parties difficult and stressful.  The house seems to be invaded by hordes of uncontrollable children and I just seem to stand about, shouting instructions about wet swimming costumes and where in the house they are not allowed (mostly everywhere) and what they can't do (mostly everything).  To calm down, I tell myself that one day the girls will have left home, one day they will have parties that John and I won't be invited to, one day I will  miss the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment